Newport Township Highway Department
Rodger Edmonds has been serving the Highway Department and Newport Township as Highway Commissioner since 2013. He oversees construction, maintenance and repair of roads within the unincorporated areas of the district, letting of contracts, employing labor and purchasing material and machinery. The total miles for the Township is 17.5 miles; but through intergovernmental agreements, we also take care of plowing, tree trimming/removal, ditching, and mowing on an additional 35 miles.
Some Highway Department duties, but not limited to, include:
- Daily clean-up of debris from the roadways and ditches
- Snow plowing and ice control
- Roadside mowing
- Tree trimming/removal
- Drainage, storm sewers and culverts replacement and maintained to ensure proper water flow
- Monitor street lights for proper maintenance
- Repair and resurfacing of roads
- Assisting residents with storm damage, including flooding issues
- Issuing R.O.W. permits to residents that are doing construction on their property
- Attending highway meetings to stay on top of new ideas and township legislation
- Working with and updating equipment inventory
In 2017, we started an Annual Senior Informational Luncheon with our co-sponsorship with Newport Township Fire District. We look forward to having our next one on June 6, 2018.