Newport Township Highway Department
As of May 17th, 2021 the position of “Highway Commissioner” was dissolved due to Legislation passing the “Illinois HB348” bill in 2020. This does not have any effect on the Highway Department and the responsibilities of caring for Newport Township roads. Since 2013, Rodger Edmonds has been serving the Highway Department and Newport Township as Highway Commissioner. During this time, he was able to work with the Township board to fulfill all that was expected of him and his crew while meeting the expectations of the residents. Rodger is thankful to have been able to serve as an elected official for that time, and work with the community he has grown up in.
Newport Township would also like to assure the residents that the Highway Department will continue to operate uninterrupted while continuing to work and care for the roads as always. As of May 19th, 2021, Rodger Edmonds was hired by the Township board to fill the new position of Highway Department Director. The Highway Department Director oversees construction, maintenance and repair of roads within the unincorporated areas of the district, letting of contracts, employing labor and purchasing material and machinery. The total miles for the Township is 17.5 miles; but through intergovernmental agreements, we also take care of plowing, tree trimming/removal, ditching, and mowing on an additional 35 miles.
Some Highway Department duties, but not limited to, include:
- Daily clean-up of debris from the roadways and ditches
- Snow plowing and ice control
- Roadside mowing
- Tree trimming/removal
- Drainage, storm sewers and culverts replacement and maintained to ensure proper water flow
- Monitor street lights for proper maintenance
- Repair and resurfacing of roads
- Assisting residents with storm damage, including flooding issues
- Issuing R.O.W. permits to residents that are doing construction on their property
- Attending highway meetings to stay on top of new ideas and township legislation
- Working with and updating equipment inventory